Monday, August 12, 2013

Centerboard and Rudder

These are the blades that cut through the water to limit side slip and to steer the boat. I will give them a foil shape blunt on the forward edge and with a gradual taper on the aft edge.
These are the plywood blanks that come with the kit. I have glued them up two layers for the rudder and three layers for the daggerboard. I have penciled in a line that I will bring the initial taper to.

The internal layers of plywood produce a pattern that helps keep the shaping even.

I soaked a piece of braided line in epoxy and set it into the leading edge of the boards. This helps to prevent damage to the blade when objects are encountered.

I covered both the rudder and daggerboard with a layer of glass cloth saturated with epoxy. This significantly increases their strength and resistance to moisture.




While working on the daggerboard I also started working on the daggerboard case.


With the daggerboard finished I can adjust the kingposts so the case has about 1/8 inch clearance.



2 comments:

  1. Nice work, as always, Joe. But what are you doing boat-building when you could be SAILING? Montauk is only 26nm away from you, and Block Island about 8!

    Nice seeing you the other day in the Harbor of Refuge. Someday I will have to find a ramp more convenient than Great Island--getting back there that day against the wind in 2-3 feet of water was hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,
      I had been hoping to sail to Montauk this summer.Hearing that you had made the trip was additional incentive. The day after you wrote this Sally and left PJ for Watch Hill. We spent the night inside Napatree Point. Sunday we sailed to Montauk. The weather was looking iffy so instead of staying we continued on to BI. Monday we sailed home to PJ from New Harbor.
      Tacking up East Pond against a SW wind is a problem especially if the tide is out. There is only a narrow twisty channel.

      Happy Sailing

      Delete