Saturday, April 25, 2009

The stem


The plans call for the stem to be made from solid stock. A full size pattern is included for cutting out the stem.

I decided that I would do a laminated stem.

I used the pattern to determine the shape of my mold.

Instead of just cutting out my mold I made one extra cut and this gave me three pieces.

The inner piece is the mold for the stem. It ties into the rest of the jig and helps to make it rigid. The holes are for the clamps that I will use to pull together the laminates.

The middle one represents the stem.

This came in handy because all measurements in the plans reference the forward end of the stem.

I think the outer piece will be useful when I begin to shape the laminated stem. I will be able to hold this piece up against the stem to insure that I shape the proper curve into the laminated stem.

I will post some more when I actually glue up the stem.

The stem is made up of 14 strips of wood each about 1 1/2 inches wide 1/8 inch thick and five feet long. The strips have to be thin so they will bend around the curve of the stem without breaking.

The first photo shows a dry run. Clamping the strips in place without epoxy gave me a chance to work out how I would be able to get all the strips in place. The strips were a little difficult to get in place the first time. They resisted taking the sharp curve, but after they spent a day clamped into position they got used to it. They went together much more easily the second time.









Here the epoxy has been spread on each strip and they are clamped in place.






The temperature in my boat shop was 55 F. The epoxy needs to be a little warmer to harden properly. I made a little tent and put a lamp under it.

No comments:

Post a Comment