Monday, August 9, 2010

Finding the centerboard trunk

Before I glued in the centerboard trunk I drilled a hole through the hull in the area covered by the inside of the trunk. This allowed me to know the location of the trunk now that the hull is inverted.

I made a jig to hold the router roughly perpendicular to the trunk and started the cut in the locating hole.



Similar to the way I cut out the seat tops. The router with a bearing tip did a good job of following the inside of the trunk.


After the slot was cut I could not resist temporarily installing the centerboard.



Here the board is retracted. The pin is installed. Seems like a nice fit. No extra wiggle room.


After I got the board back out of there I used the round over bit to (duh) round over the lip.



I used fairing compound to fill any small hole or imperfections at joints in the hull. Then a light sanding and the entire hull was sealed with unthickened epoxy.



I used a combination of squeegee and roller to spread the epoxy.



A foam brush is used to remove any bubbles or marks left by the roller.


Now the hull is ready for glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment