Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 2012 Now where was I

Six months is a long time to be away from a project. I thought I would start with something simple. Last fall I imbedded stainless nuts in the cabin to secure the portlights.. I did a test fit and the stainless machine screws all fit nicely. I usually do not use silicone sealant but that is what the manufacturer recommended.

The portlights help give the boat a finished look and also got a couple of large items out of my parts box.

I wanted to install my compass in a location where it could be easily viewed by the helmsman. On this boat that pretty much means the side deck and that also means two compasses.

Using a large hole saw can be a little intimidating. Things happen fast. I predrilled for the guide bit and used an extra long bit. Then I just held on and hoped for the best. I was going to cut the opening out with a skill saw but I had a hole saw just the right size. So I went for it.




This is what I had when the dust settled.


Next I drilled oversize holes for the fasteners and the wiring. These will be filled with epoxy and redrilled.




It is fairly critical for the compass to be parallel to the the center line of the boat. I made several measurement to ensure the compass would be aligned with the boat.



I was not planning on having a central 12 volt power system on my boat. I was going to rely on using items like lights and radio and navigation that had their own battery supply. Now I am being pushed into having a central 12 volt system. The internal compass light requires a 12 volt source. The battery operated navigation lights are not as bright as I would like them to be. They do not meet Coast Guard regulations for boats slightly larger or faster than my boat. I bought some navigation lights that have a 2 nautical mile rating. I want to be seen at night. But some one is going to have to do some wiring.

1 comment: