Friday, August 10, 2012

Prepare for Launch

I decided to name my boat SKORPA this is in honor of my grandfather who loved to dunk skorpa in his coffee and my grandmother who lovingly baked and dried the cardamon flavored coffee bread. My grandparents were born in Sweden and Algut Julius loved boats as much as he loved skorpa..

I have been baking skorpa for years and made up a batch to hand out at the launching.


 Lots of small tasks to be done. Rub strips needed to be added to the masts to prevent the sprits from rubbing on the sail track. 24 6-32 holes to be drilled and threads cut into the aluminum.



I raised the masts in the driveway convenient but perhaps not the wisest place because of the proximity of power lines.



Everything went pretty smoothly except a few weeks ago I had decided that the mizzen mast had just a wee bit too much play as it passsed through the mast partner. I added a couple of coats of epoxy to the sleeve.

When I went to plant the mizzen mast it jammed about a 1/2 inch into the seat. I couldn't pull it out and I couldn't push it down. I thought about asking Sally to get one of the neighbors to help but two of us jerking on the 22 foot mast might have made it worse.

Finally I gave the mast a mighty heave and it popped out as I wobbled about like someone doing a poor move on the balance beam. Sorry no photos.




1 comment:

  1. Good on ya! I was getting a bit concerned when you seemed to disappear around the projected launch time. I continue to be intimidated by and a bit envious of the quality of your work. Any launch date yet?
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete