Friday, August 22, 2014

Launch of the Spindrift 10

At last my little boat is ready for the water. Sally is helping me make a few last minute preparations.








We always used an old wooden ladder to slide our ancient fiberglass dinghy into the water, but I built a wooden ramp that I hope will be easier on the back and the boat.


Here we go down into the water.


 
 
 
I need to add a roller to the top but other than that the ramp worked very well.
 
 
 
Now off for a sail.
 
 
 

 
 
After a day or so sailing around the pond the winds were light so I decided to do a capsize and recover practice and take a video. This is the first video I have uploaded to Youtube. The boat is fun to sail and quite stable but I want to sail confidently in strong winds far from shore so it is important to be able to right the boat and self rescue in the event of a knockdown. Stuff happens and it is fun to be prepared. Going over was a little scary at first but lots of fun in the end.
 


 
 
That was the standard reentry over the transom. It went really well for a first try. I was amazed at how high the boat floated on its side and how little water was in the boat after recovery.
 
 

 
 
I tried hopping up on the high side to recover the boat without getting wet but was unsuccessful. Then I reentered from the water over the side. This was trickier and brought in more water but took a little less strength.
 

 
Finally Sally joined in the fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment