Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Seat tops and bunks

The large piece of plywood I am working on forms the forward cockpit seats, centerboard trunk top, bridge deck and mizzen thwart.




I needed to cut out the openings for the foot wells and I thought I would try a different way of making the cuts.



 I am using a special bit in the router. The router bit has a small bearing on the tip. Once the bearing comes up against something solid it will not let the router cut any deeper.

This makes lots of dust and is kind of scary because you have to trust that the router isn't tearing into the centerboard trunk you spent three weeks building and installing.





 All in all very successful. The center board trunk emerged unscathed.



I survived as well. A router is an amazing and scary piece of equipment.


No comments:

Post a Comment